Wednesday, April 12, 2017

a new chapter: part one

Hello again! It has been a long time since I have posted. What have I been up to? Well, for starters, I had a baby! My little tater tot is just about the most perfect thing ever, so that's pretty awesome. Recovery from labor was not quite as awesome, and took far longer than anticipated. By the time I was starting to feel back to my normal self, I had fallen really behind with work, and so all of my waking hours went to taking care of baby or playing catch-up on my courses (and sometimes, both at the same time). 

What brings me back to the blog? Believe it or not, wearing leggings and nursing friendly tops for two months straight gets old. At first it was great to not have to worry about what I was wearing since I was stuck at home for so long, and on the rare occasion that I did go out, I could play the "new mom" card and not have to worry about my appearance. Fast forward to today, where I'm so sick of wearing leggings that I'd rather wear my maternity jeans that I have to pull up every two minutes. But I'm sick of that as well. And the "new mom" card only lasts so long.


Coatigan: The Limited //  Tank: Kohl's  //  Jeans: Target  //  Flats: J. Lo via Kohl's


"Kate, if you're so sick of leggings and maternity jeans, why don't you just go back to your pre-pregnancy clothes?" Ah, if only it were that simple. Currently none of my pre-maternity pants fit because my hips decided they needed to double in size (since they didn't already have enough of a presence). My feet grew, too. And on top of all of that (no pun intended), most of my shirts and blouses don't fit because of my milk cannons. 

So here I am, essentially starting a new wardrobe from scratch. I did the same when I was pregnant, and I am pretty satisfied with the decisions I made (September, October, November). I invested in a couple pairs of maternity jeans, and I wore them enough to get cost-per-wear far under $1. The same goes for basic tees and tanks. I'm hoping that the blog will help keep me on track and on budget while I'm in this transition period. 

If you have been in my shoes, I'd love to know your experience with getting dressed as a new mom. Was it all comfy clothes for you? How long did it take you to fit into your pre-pregnancy clothes again? Do you have any advice? Please share in the comments!

8 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your new baby! Getting your clothing groove back kinda sucks to be honest! But it does get better. It took me almost 6 months for most of my clothes to fit again, and even then somethings just never did. I walked alot pushing the stroller to help get things back to normal. Give yourself time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck! Congrats on your little one
    It has taken me almost 7 years to rebound to a point I am comfortable. I am still a size bigger than I was before, mostly due to hips and a C-section. I am happy though.
    Have you looked at capsule wardrobes to get you through? Less items, more remixing. Just an idea
    I wore a lot of stretch skirts and dresses at first too

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats, mama! My advice would actually be not to compare your transition to your normal size to other mothers'. Be kind to yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on baby tater tot :) It will be fun to shop for new clothes for the new bod, think of it that way! And the milk cannons aren't forever, so there is hope!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. congrats on your new baby! my advice would be to buy a few things in the sizes you need now. you'll feel so much better! at least, i did. for example, 6-8 weeks after my baby was born i bought a few things for summer- shorts, a pair of capris, some new cute tops, and a new cute running tank/shorts. then two months later when i was prepping to go back to work, i bought a couple stretchy (but professional) skirts from loft, and cheap dress pants and dress crops from target. i also bought jeans. by that point more of dressy work tops fit so that was nice, but with breastfeeding/pumping i couldn't really wear my dresses without it being a pain. then a few months later i tried on more of my old clothes, more and more things started fitting...and now i'm coming up on a year (can't believe it) and some things still don't fit, but that's okay. just take it slow and if you have the space, put the clothes you can't wear away. out of sight, out of mind.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulation! I'm so excited that you're back and will be looking forward to some baby stories :) I'll also be interested to watch you grow your new wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super congrats on your baby! I second the recommendation to buy a few things that fit now especially that are nursing friendly. My body was super weird and didn't let me lost the last 15 pounds of baby weight until I stopped nursing so my pre-baby clothes didn't fit for 18 months (Yikes)!! Now that I'm back at my pre-baby weight, things just look different and I'm slowly learning to except that. I'm being very intentional about anything new that I buy and I'm applying the one thing in at least one thing out rule. Also, you can play the new mom card for at least 6 months minimum! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on the baby boy!! What did you name him? I think you will find your style groove back and a happy medium as a new mom. It takes a little time but you will get used to a new body. I think this outfit is very you.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...