Friday, April 21, 2017

fitting room snapshots: gap

One of the many challenges of being a new mommy is the lack of "me time". I can't just do things on a whim; every trip out of the house has to be well planned, generally revolving around when Baby Tater Tot has last eaten, and whether he has had enough wake time (or too much). Car trips tend to put him to sleep, but on the off-chance he wakes up, he is super cranky.

All this is a roundabout way of saying that I went to a mommy group, where Tater was able to nurse and nap, which meant that I had an hour or so to do whatever I wanted to do. One thing I really enjoyed doing pre-baby was trying on clothes. For me, most of the fun of shopping takes place in the fitting room.

I found myself in Gap, and took some snapshots of the things I tried on. 


Off the shoulder top: I knew before I tried on the off the shoulder top wasn't going to work out. I tend to avoid tops that require "fancy" bras, but I found myself gravitating toward it. Later I remembered it was because I had already been part of the off the shoulder trend when I was in high school (I had three I can remember off the top of my head). I have a friend who always since "If you were part of a trend the first time around, you're too old to do it again." Either way, I didn't like this top. Verdict: easy pass.

Split-neck top: I liked the style, but the fit was off. It was too tight in the armpit and too wide in the waist. There was a decent assortment of colors, though. I suppose it was a good thing it didn't work out otherwise I would have been in a hard spot choosing between several of them. Verdict: pass.


Neither top is available on line any longer. 

I liked the fit of the short sleeve blouse on the left, but didn't love it on me. Three different prints on one shirt is too much for me. I couldn't see myself wearing it, let alone wanting to wear it, so it was an easy pass. 

The same goes with the long sleeve blouse on the right. I liked the fit, but didn't love the print. Also, I thought it was buttoned at the top in such a way that it couldn't be unbuttoned (I couldn't find a hook), and so I assumed the top was meant to stay closed, as seen above. After a Google search, I realized that I was wrong. But the discovery wasn't enough to make me regret my decision.



Eyelet tee: I'm impressed with the assortment of white and flowy tops Gap has (on clearance!). I loved everything about this top except the length. After looking back on this picture, I am questioning whether it was really too short because it's so cute. Reviews online agree it is short. Too bad. Verdict: passed (sadly).

Striped cardigan: If you know me, you know I have a thing for stripes. It wasn't until I was trying this on that something felt oddly familiar. That white and grey striped cardigan of mine no longer fits and has seen better days. I think it might actually be in my donate pile right now (more on that in another post). Do I need another cardigan? Absolutely not. Would this be a good piece for a capsule wardrobe? Possibly, especially since I have a tendency to wear solid colored tops otherwise. Verdict: bought it, but my conscience is telling me to return it.



Crochet tank: I'm rarely tempted by 40% off promotions. I was sticking to the clearance rack until the sales associate told me there are other clearance items spread throughout the store. While I was looking for these other items, I came across this tank. It's hard to say whether I love the crochet detail or the crisp white more, but I'm pretty sure it's a winner. Verdict: this one came home with me. As did the same one in jungle green.

Sleeveless shirt: I loved the color of the shirt and the embroidery detail, but the shirt had a collar that made me feel like I was about to get my hair cut, and it was just way too wide at the bottom. When I got home to look at Gap's website, I saw that this shirt is styled tied-up at the bottom. Maybe that's why it's so wide? For there to be extra material to tie up? Verdict: easy pass.



Cold shoulder top: I wish I would have taken a close up of this top because I can't describe it, but I love it. I'm sure the cold shoulder trend is on its way out (if it hasn't left already), but I also don't think it's that dramatic of a statement anyway. My only complaints are that it is a smidge too short and that it is a smidge more see through than I would prefer. (If you look closely you can see my bra.. which fit just fit just fine while I was pregnant. I wish I wouldn't have listened to my mom friends that said your boobs do most of their growing while you are pregnant, because I must have gone up at least a cup size after my milk came in. Sorry if that's TMI.) Verdict: it came home with me but I'm not sure if the minor complaints are signs that it should go back.

Pleat tank: As you'll see below, I tried this tank on in two different colors. My size wasn't in stock, so I went up a size. It could have worked, but when the sales associate told me the same top was available online in my size and I could have it shipped to my house for free, I went with my size. It's fun and flirty, but if I'm really trying to build a capsule wardrobe, I'm not sure this top would make the cut. I'm not sure how I would style it other than on its own with jeans or paired with a cardigan. Verdict: it is currently in the mail, and I'm currently on the fence about it.



Pleat tank: The same comments apply as above. I noticed this color on my second trip around the store (I frequently take another spin around the store after my first fitting room session). They had my size in stock with this one. Verdict: I bought it, but will only keep one of the two (if any). While I gravitate more towards the white one, I should probably opt for the pink one instead.

Print tank: I picked this one off the rack for one odd reason. The last time I saw my realtor, she had a quasi-floral pink and purple tank with a coordinating cardigan over it, and I loved it, to the point that I put a quasi-floral print tank on my wishlist. I like the way this one fits, and I was pleasantly surprised that I could wear it on its own - typically I steer clear of any kind of spaghetti (or linguine) straps. Verdict: bought, most likely a keeper, but ultimately depends on what else I keep.


So there you have my most recent trip to Gap. I hadn't been in a long time, but I found a few winners. I love the flowy factor of most of these tops, especially since they hide my leftover baby belly. I clearly went home with more than I intended to, so now I need to narrow it down. Which ones do you think I should keep? Should I only keep the ones that would fit in a capsule wardrobe, or should I just get the ones that make me feel good?

2 comments:

  1. Oh man, you made me lol a few times in this post. I've missed you!! Anyway, I think you made good decisions, and should probably return the stuff you feel iffy about, regardless of capsule compatibility. If you don't love it, are you gonna reach for it in your closet? Probably not. Speaking of love, I want that crochet swing tank!! (and also, post-pregnancy boobs are dumb)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh, how I love a good review post. I feel like I haven't shopped in ages and I'm itching to add something to my closet! Maybe I need to head to Gap!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...